Friday, June 7, 2013

My first post: An Introduction

I decided to create my first blog to keep track of my PhD fundraising efforts, and to keep my followers informed of my research. My name is Jonathan Becker.  I'm a fifth year PhD student in Electrical and Computer Engineering (ECE) at Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh, PA. My research is in anti-jamming antenna arrays optimized with stochastic algorithms (such as Genetic Algorithms). The purpose of these arrays is to focus electromagnetic energy (i.e. radio frequency or RF waves) on a signal of interest while simultaneously minimizing energy directed towards interferers (i.e., jammers). My arrays prevent jammers from blocking wireless communications whether they be commercial or military.


Yesterday, I created my GoFundMe page to raise funds for my tuition for the academic calendar year 2013-2014. Although my PhD advisor and I have written several grant proposals, I'm interested in seeing if I can raise these funds through crowdfunding. I feel that this would be a good experience for me considering that I see myself using crowdfunding later on in my career whether to raise capital for a startup or for funding projects if I become a research professor. (There is also the possibility that our grant proposals could be denied, so I want a Plan B just in case.) I'd appreciate it if you visit that page and support my efforts by donating there or sharing my GoFundMe page with your friends and followers.

That is all for now. I hope that you enjoy this post, and all of my future posts. May good health and success be with you.


Sincerely,

Jonathan Becker
ECE PhD Candidate
Carnegie Mellon University

No comments:

Post a Comment